Sunday, September 25, 2016

Full brick updating Fire TV 2 from 5.2.1.0 to 5.2.1.1 using TWRP Custom Recovery :(

I bricked my Fire TV 2 with fully unlocked bootloader and TWRP Custom Recovery menu! I thought this wasn't even possible.

After updating my 2nd Fire TV 2 (1st was successfully updated) TWRP got an error while writing the new pre-rooted image. The error was something like mounting /system and I think it said exit error/status 7. But looking up this error seems to be related to using invalid images, which I didn't because the 1st Fire TV 2 updated fine using the same image.

The only option was to reboot the device which I did and now it is stuck on the white Amazon logo and the LED keeps fading in and out. The TWRP menu is unreachable and using a keyboard to get into the recovery menu also doesn't work.

I've tried everything (from aftvnews how-to-unbrick-and-prevent-bricking-an-amazon-fire-tv) even fastboot using the USB A-to-A cable I originally rooted it with. No luck, nothing. Fast boot won't list any devices.

The only thing that seems to acknowledge any device begin present is to retry the rooting process. This will detect the handshake and tried to modify the bootloader. But off course this has changed after the last updates so I won't inject the code meant for 5.0.5.1.

I thought TWRP and a fully unlocked bootloader meant safe updating, so how could I brick it like this?

Any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions and would even be able to open it up and do a hardware flash if possible...


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2dh8Nh2
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment