Tuesday, August 30, 2016

My SM-G935F - UK - Three

I just entered a 2 year contract with THREE (UK)
SM-G935F (Exynos Chipset) sorry I don't know anything about variants
and the majority of what you will find here requires root

The idea behind this thread is to share my progress with you
and keep the things I use in one place.

Google Drive

This is my Google Drive

Many people ask not to mirror their files. However after a few years pass..
Sites go down.. links die and awesome things disappear :(
I do not have permission to share them so you do not have permission to download them.:angel:

I will 7zip the files I use along with a .txt file containing credits and links to were I obtained them where possible. Always assume that anything in there is outdated and can damage your device. ZArchiver is a good app to extract 7zip files on your phone.
I like to hoard old apps. 9 times out of 10 they still work perfectly and are a fraction of the size of recent ones found on the play store.

Life Story
Previous Devices

U20i Xperia Mini Pro
R800i Xperia Play (would have preferred a keyboard)
SK17i Xperia Mini Pro (Gen 2) loved it best phone iv ever had
Xperia (T)whart (Thing was locked down and useless.. got rid and lost faith in Sony)
XT894 Motorola Droid 4 (good phone shame it wasn't released in the uk)

I'm not a developer.
But I have plenty of experience with Android, Linux and computers in general.
I have the philosophy of "Minus is More" Back in the day the full CM7 zip ROM was 87.6MB and that included a web browser, music player yada yada.. Everything you needed! The level of customization was phenomenal you could really dig deep and find settings inside settings... of settings. In my opinion every rom since then has had less features. I would still be using it if it wasn't for app developers not supporting older versions of android :(
It is my mission to strip this thing back to Bare-bones
And im very interested in what sktjdgns1189's got going on

First impressions
The last phone I got from three had a locked Boot-loader and I kicked off Big time.
Three assured me that this Samsung was 100% unlocked. I made it clear that if I cant do what I like with it id throw it at them. The very first thing I did when I got it out the box was root it and install TWRP so kudos to Three! Apart from a mishap a few years back im more than happy with Three and highly recommend them. I have no signal in my house but they sent me out a home signal box for free!

When I got the s7 edge I was gob smacked by system usage.
I don't remember the exact amount but my pure vanilla back up is 4.57GB



Never had a Samsung phone before... the good points speak for themselves
Here's what im not so keen on..

I underestimated its size. With a case on I struggle to get it in my pocket. I'm 6ft 6 and my hands are huge but if id held it first I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Black phone and it came with a white charger white headphones and a white otg adapter?
Whats up with that lol. The headphone case was black tho :)

I think Samsung was mean with the cable length and with the charging port at the bottom you lose the length of the phone when you point it at the wall socket. Left side low would be ideal for me. The charge cable gets in the way when im in landscape.

Whys the back button on the right? Maybe ill get used to it

Long press back button for menu? I really don't like that and it doesn't work in some apps..
It just closes them -.- wonder if I can map a long press of the home button to do it.

This home screen sucks its laggy as hell.. How can you have a home-screen in 2016 that doesn't support landscape? I don't like my app drawer to swipe left and right I prefer up and down

Rooting

It took me over an hour lol the YouTube guide I was following was telling me to press the wrong buttons. There are plenty of guides out there but knowing this will help.

[POWER] + [VOL DOWN] + [HOME] = Download Mode
(known as fast-boot in the Xperia world?)

[POWER] + [VOL UP] + [HOME] = Recovery

Iv been messing around with a few roms and kernels now and iv managed to cock up a few times
bootloops, stuck samsung logo and once I even got stuck in a weird pulsing vibration mode.
Here's how I managed to recover from these

[POWER] + [VOL DOWN] + [VOL UP] + [HOME] hold down all the buttons for maybe 10 seconds? When the screen goes blank remove your finger from [VOL DOWN]
and it should take you back to recovery (now breath and wait for your heart rate to stabilize)

Sometimes when I do a data wipe I lose root so its good to have flash zip handy
BETA-SuperSU-v2.74-2-20160519174328.zip
Works for me. Ty chainfire


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2bA0JYI
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment