Monday, May 30, 2016

wifi battery drain still not going away

So i've had the infamous Marshmallow wifi drain since the update rolled out (US retail 2gb version XT1540).
Didnt get the time to look into it as university life didnt permit me from resetting and stuff, but I have reset my phone twice in the past week and the bug is appearing again.

For the first reset, i did it from inside android's settings. and then restored a backup (without any apps apart from whatsapp and messenger). For the first day there was no battery drain so I installed a few more apps and boom, charged the phone overnight and there was massive wifi battery drain the next day.

I then reset the phone from android's setting menu again. and then reset cache from the recovery mode and then reset the entire phone from the recovery mode. Didn't backup and set up the phone as a new device. Worked fine for the first battery cycle (only installed whatsapp and onedrive, cant live without these two apps) but the drain started once i charged the phone again. For the next charge cycle I restarted the phone when battery was 100% charged and havent had the drain. When I charged the phone again, the drain appeared again.

I've also noticed (but can't confirm if this is true) that turning off the wifi or disconnecting from wifi when leaving range also starts the drain.

I was also on a trip for the past 10 days without wifi. For a three day stretch when I completely shut down the wifi, location and other things, there was not wifi drain. My phone stayed alive for three days, even though I took ~150 pictures and a couple of videos. The drain started again when I came back home and connected wifi.

I love the phone and I dont wont to move away from motorola due to this little but massively annoying bug. What are my options to fix this? Had a chat with a motorola rep and they asked to send it to the repair center. That is not a possibility due to my geographical location.

I can try a few more resets if you people recommend. My suspicion is that the MM update had some weird bug and that I should move back to lollipop and then update back upto MM. In that case, I will need you people to guide me from scratch as I have no idea how to root and stuff.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1slTINP
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment