Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Android Rant

Before I begin allow me to give some background info on myself. I was one of those preteens in the late 2000s who was in on the iPod trend. I started out with one of the old generation nanos and later upgraded to a touch. Once my parents gave me the privilege of having a phone I chose to get an iPhone because I was already familiar with the iOS software and I would not have trouble figuring it out and that was exactly my experience. I started with a iPhone 3g then a 4 then finally a 5s which I still have now. Later on in life I became an avid PC builder. I had probably spent entire days of my life learning about computer components before I made the switch to android. I had to get my own cell service because my parents would not let me use theirs anymore so I had to make a switch. I needed unlimited data for my mobile hotspot so my search began. I went to bestbuy where cell phone service reps from different companies all had a conversation with me at once. Sprint was one of the few companies that offered unlimited data for normal cell phone use but did not offer that for a mobile hotspot. The rep suggested I use a rooted or jail broken phone with the proper modifications to get unlimited hotspot data. Sprint is a CDMA carrier which means my AT&T iPhone would not work which means I needed to get a new phone. A lot of people, especially in the computer nerd circles seemed to like androids and I understood why. Androids oftentimes have micro SD slots (up to 128GB for around $30) around 3-4GB of RAM, very nice cameras, and around 3000mAh batteries which also often times support qual comm quick charge usually for around the price of $400. So I decided to buy a LG G4 and use it but I was unable to root it. Around this time Cricket Wireless announced their unlimited data plan that did not throttle down wireless speeds. I bought a Moto X Pure Edition and A Cricket SIM card on amazon. I rooted it, bought the cricket service plan and got my mobile hotspot with unlimited data at no extra charge. Thanks for the help everybody. I used Sprints 30 satisfaction guarantee to get a refund from them and I was on my way.

I've been using it for a couple of months now and I think I'm going to go back to my iPhone

Why?:

1. The battery life is HORRIBLE on both the Moto X and LG G4. Normally this would never be a concern on my iPhone. Already familiar with software modifications of androids I decided to install a custom ROM and kernel (TruPureXMM 2.9 with Franken Kernel) which are supposed to help increase battery life by removing a lot of the unnecessary things that came preinstalled with the phone among other things but didn't seem to do much. I would always plug my iPhone into my car whenever I drive somewhere and would rarely ever be concerned about its battery life. When I plug in my android into my car, sometimes it will still be losing battery life. When I woke up this morning my android was dead as it usually is when it gets left unplugged overnight. When I plugged it into my computer it took about 20min to even be ready to boot. When it did boot is said it would be 12 HOURS before it would be fully charged. According to my Moto X I use on average 2.5 GB of RAM. It also has a Dual-core 1.8 GHz Cortex-A57 & quad-core 1.44 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU. My iPhone 5s has 1GB of RAM and a Dual-Core 1.3 GHz Cyclone CPU and I never noticed any performance issues in it's stock software configuration.

2. I hate Micro USB cables and Qual Comm quick charge. In the couple of months I've had the Moto X I've already destroyed 2 regular micro USB cables and the Turbo Charger that came with my Moto X. Occasionally I would break the old iPhone/iPod chargers but I have yet to ruin one of the newly designed iPhone/iPod chargers. I've heard that Qual Comm quick charge will reduce the life span of batteries. I shouldn't need to hard wire a power outlet into my car do get a decent amount of charge for my android in my car. Regular USB ports should get the job done right.

3. The screens are way to big for a cell phone. I know there are small androids out there but all the androids that were at the Sprint store were massive. I'm 6' 0" and I still have problems fitting these droids into my hand. I shouldn't have to choose between having a good grip on my phone and being able to touch anywhere on the screen with my thumb. Why do androids usually display at 1440p resolution anyway? I thought they only needed to be a retina display. The screen size and resolution has to be eating away a HUGE amount of electricity.

Dear Google, LG, Motorola, and all the other people in charge of making android phones a reality,

You're competing against the most valuable business on the face of the earth. Start acting like it. I shouldn't need to buy apps and download sketchy software only available to rooted devices to make them last as long as iPhones.

Sincerely,

Kasyton


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/29iP8Zw
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment